|Swobo Novaks are internally geared three-speeds. Photos courtesy: shop.swobo.com|
The Swobo Novak is a steel 3-speed with an internal gear hub that costs around $650.
We haven't talked about Swobo since the days of Tim Parr and Sky Yaeger. If you're unfamiliar with those names, I'll wait here while you get acquainted through google.
Back in 2008, we discussed Swobo's Sanchez, Folsom, and Otis models. Since then, Parr got bought out by Santa Cruz Bicycles, which is best known for making gnarly mountain bikes like the Tall Boy. Santa Cruz was co-founded by a guy named Rich Novak, so it wouldn't surprise me if this model is named for him. (By the way, Santa Cruz was just bought by Dutch cycling company Pon Holdings BV, which also owns Cervelo.) In any event, Swobo still offers updated versions of its Sanchez and Folsom.
And now they also have the Novak, the 3-speed models pictured above, as well as the 8-speed Fillmore models that go for about $900. The Novaks and Fillmores come with Shimano Nexus internal gear hubs, hammered fenders, and a bell. They come in 5 sizes, ranging from a 48 cm seat tube to a 60 cm. You can see the Novak in action in this youtube video.
Additional Novak specs:
- Frame and fork: TIG welded Swobo Chromoly
- Crankset: Samox outboard bearing with chainring bashguard
- Hubs: Swobo branded (F)/Shimano Nexus 3spd (R)
- Wheels: 700c/36 hole/Alex DA22 rims/14g Stainless spokes
- Tires: Kenda Kwick Trax/700x32c/Puncture resistant with reflective sidewall
- Brakes: Tektro forged dual pivot caliper
- Seat/post/stem/bars/grips: Swobo branded
- Extras: Brake lever integrated bell, fenders.