|Secret Service Men's Bike, via Clever Cycles|
Recently, we received an email from Mike, a reader who wondered why we had not mentioned Workcycles from the Netherlands. "I have a Workcycles Secret Service, with a front rack, 8 speed Nexus (with gears adjusted to the hilly place I live in), front and back hand-operated roller brakes, double parking stand/steering stabilisor," Mike wrote. "It's great and I think it's the kind of bike you're otherwise interested in."
Workcycles makes beautiful, useful bikes. Workcycles stated mission is to "promote everyday cycling amongst individuals, families and enterprises by supplying the most practical, beautiful and affordable bicycles possible and by providing an unmatched level of service." Yes, that's what we're looking for here at Bikes For The Rest Of Us.
Workcycles are not easy to come by in the United States, and not cheap. You can find them at upscale shops like AdelineAdeline in New York City, Dutch Bike in Chicago and Seattle, and Clever Cycles in Portland. At Clever Cycles, the Secret Service retails for $1600. (you can always justify spending that kind of money on a commuter bike - especially if you get rid of a car).
Here are the specs on the Secret Service:
• Lugged steel frame, oversized tubing, powdercoat
• Heavy Duty 28" wheels with double-walled rims
• 3-speed Shimano hub, R coaster/F roller-brakes
• Forged aluminium crankset
• Brooks leather saddle
• Strong rear carrier, elastic
• Hub dynamo, halogen headlamp, LED taillight w/ standlight
• Zinc- and powder-coated mudguards, coat guards, chain-case
• Rear wheel lock, chromed, brass bell
• Single speed or 8-speed
• Roller-brakes F/R
• Double parking stand, steering stabilisor
• Frame-fixed, removable front carrier
• Frame sizes: 49, 53, 57, 61, 65cmcm
Own a Workcycle? Please leave feedback in the comments.