In recent years Batavus has hoped to capture some of the export market by making bikes with wider appeal. Some, like the Breukelen, are Aluminum-framed modern interpretations of the more classic bikes like the Old Dutch. The BUB is a different animal because it doesn't try to look like any bike you've seen before. Oh, and it costs about half of the typical Batavus.
What makes the BUB so special by US standards?
- It has a cool paperclip-shaped frame that has won the prestigious iF Award
- Well, if you needed to Google "iF Award" like me then let me just tell you that it makes Aluminum tubing look really good
- It comes with a wheel lock for dashing into your favorite Kebab place for carryout
- You can get it with front/rear lights and front/rear racks
- The tires are big and wide but it's not for beach cruising
- You sit upright to see over the backs of bent-over fixie riders ahead of you.
- You're tempted to add reflectors to the bike because of the cool colored plastic bits they offer
- It costs $600 and it's not made in China